White Cards In NSW– An Insight

Home » Blog » White Cards In NSW– An Insight

If you are planning to work as a laborer in the construction field in Australia, then having a white card is a mandatory requirement in most worksites. If you do not have one, you probably won’t even be allowed on the construction site. So what exactly is a white card?

If you have a white card already – check our construction labour hire solutions.

A White Card is a common name used for the “Prepare to Work Safely in the Construction Industry CPCCWHS1001” training course. Having a White card means that you have completed this training course successfully and are certified to work in a construction site by a government-approved trainer or organization. Additionally, most worksites prefer that you take the White card training in person rather than from online websites.

Who needs a white card?

Most construction roles and jobs require that the laborer should have a valid white card such as:

  • Construction laborers/ General laborers.
  • Site Managers/ Supervisors/ Foremen.
  • Surveyors
  • Tradespeople
  • Workers entering construction zones regularly
  • People who need access to construction zones without supervision.

How to get a white card?

The first thing that you have to do is find a Registered Training Office (RTO). RTOs let you complete and undergo White card training either in person or through their online websites. However, many worksites prefer that you take the training in person.

The cost of getting a white card is cheaper in online sites when compared to face-to-face training. The cost is normally set independently by the RTO. RTOs will provide you with application forms that need to be submitted to the government. Once you complete the training and application submission, your new card will be delivered to you in 30 days. However, RTOs will also give you a statement which is valid for 60 days that you can use until your card arrives.

Replacing your white card or Updating details

If your details have not changed, you can replace your White card online using a Mastercard or Visa. In order to do this, you need to enter your personal details exactly as it appears on the SafeWork records. Additionally, you have to pay a replacement fee if applicable. Alternatively, you can fill up and submit the application form to have your white card replaced.

If you want to update your details such as name, contact information, or others in your white card, then you have to submit a “change of details” form and send it via post or email.

The validity of your white card

White cards don’t need to be renewed or replaced. They have indefinite validity. However, if you used to have a white card but you are not active in the construction industry for more than 2 years, then some worksites may require you to take the training again and replace your White card.

Are there any eligibility requirements?

Before applying for a white card, there are a few eligibility criteria that you must be aware of:

  • You must be at least 14 years of age or older to be qualified to get a white card.
  • You must have completed the general construction induction training program from an RTO.
  • You must find a registered white card trainer near you and complete the course. You can either do this online or attend the in-person training. You can find a list of registered trainers from the official government website.
  • You must pay the course fee that is set independently by the RTO.
  • You need to provide the trainer with 100 points of ID.
  • For Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islanders, school students, correctional center inmates, and other similar categories, you might need to submit additional documentation.

What is the 100 point system?

The 100-point system is an identity verification system set up by the government of Australia in order to avoid fraud and imposters. The system requires you to submit 100 points of ID to prove your identity.

Primary documents are worth 70 points. One of the following documents can be used:

  • Birth certificate,
  • Birth Card issued by the NSW Registry of births.
  • Citizenship certificate.
  • Current passport
  • An expired passport which has not been canceled yet.
  • Any other documents of identity similar to a passport which includes diplomatic documents and others.

Additionally, secondary documents are worth 40, 35 and 25 points according to the type of document. Secondary documents worth 40 points are:

  • Drivers license issued by an Australian state or territory.
  • An identification card issued to a public employee.
  • Identifacitn card issued by the Commonwealth
  • An identification card issued to a student at a tertiary education institution.
  • Road or Maritime services photo identity card.

You can also use other documents that have your name and address on it. They are worth 35 or 25 points each depending on the type of document. These include marriage certificates, Credit card, foreign driver’s license, Documents from your current or previous employer, among others. If you have any additional questions related to your white card, you can call 13 10 50 or drop an email to contact@safework.nsw.gov.au for further assistance. Using your white card, you are now eligible to work in construction zones or sites. Additionally, you can enter such zones without any supervision or assistance. You will also be aware of basic safety hazard training and other general things that you need to know when you are working in the construction industry.

Looking job in Sydney?

Contact our recruitment specialists today!

hard-hat-4274430_1920 (1)

How To Chose A Hard Hat And Where To Buy It In Sydney


Safety Shoes: How To Choose Them And Where To Find The Right Pair


5 Laborer Jobs in Sydney You Should Consider Applying to in 2020